Thursday, September 2, 2021

A Bag Of Marbles

 Title: A Bag Of Marbles

Author: Joseph Joffo, Edward Gauvin, Kris, Vincent Bailly


What’s it about?

This graphic novel serves as a memoir of Joseph Joffo’s journey to live somewhere safe from Nazi control. The story follows Joseph and Maurice as they move farther and farther away from their home in Paris. Their parents and two older brothers are in the memoir as well, but the story belongs to the two youngest. Gauvin’s illustrations beautifully capture the world the Joffo’s had to survive in. 


Did I like it?

I enjoyed this graphic novel. Memoirs from this time period are always difficult for me to get through due to the subject matter, but I found myself able to actually enjoy the story and not just for educational purposes. Since this is a translation I am not sure if the credit goes to the original author or the translator but whichever one it is they are a heck of a storyteller. I feel like it is the work of Joseph Joffo since there is a scene in the beginning that talks about his father being a storyteller. Either way, it was an enjoyable read which surprised me. 


Who would I recommend it to?

I would recommend this book to everyone. Seriously, I think everyone should read it. It is less than 200 pages and coupled with the illustrations makes the tale extremely accessible. I also 

feel that it would be appropriate for children, depending on the child of course. 


Did I purchase it?

No, I borrowed this from my library but I do intend on picking it up if I see it in my local bookstore.


Rating 4.5/5


No comments:

Post a Comment