Companions on the Road by Tanith Lee
Genres: Fantasy, Novella, Horror, YA, Scifi, Magic
Publishing date: Nov 1, 1975 by Random house UK
My copy: Physical, purchased at a used book store
This is the kind of book half stars are made for. Companions is two novellas by
Tanith Lee. The first story felt like a parable and I really liked where it was going.
The second one was interesting and I enjoyed following Oaive on her hero's
journey. My problem is with the endings. Both endings felt too "and everyone
lived happily ever after". I don't hate happy endings but they just didn't feel like
the proper conclusions to the stories being told. They were creepy and, the
first especially, felt more like horror than fantasy. Maybe that's just me though.
I'm going to find another of Tanith Lee's books, preferably a full length novel,
and try that out. Lee's writing is beautiful and I really did enjoy how she wove
her tales just not how she finished them off.
No comments:
Post a Comment