Title: Believe Me Now
Author: S.M. Govett
Rating: 4.5/5
Info: 320 pages, first pub Crooked Lane Books 06/10/2025
Genre: General Fiction (Adult), Mystery & Thrillers
Believe Me Now follows two women: Natalie Campbell and Helen Stratton. Natalie lives with severe PTSD after being sexually assaulted by her boss. Helen is a police investigator trying to uncover what happened to her sister Alice, who disappeared as a teenager.
Natalie begins experiencing episodes of lost time. She relies heavily on her husband, Ryan, and daily routines she has in place for herself. Although her life isn’t perfect, it feels manageable until Ryan is accused of raping a coworker. Not long after, Natalie starts receiving threatening letters at home. Although the letters are anonymous, she recognizes the style and believes they are from her former boss’s wife, the same woman who once blamed Natalie for ruining her life.
Meanwhile, Helen is trying to navigate a complicated work environment. Her boss is someone she recently ended an affair with, which her coworkers probably all know about. To add further complications, she is assigned a new, eager-to-please partner who can’t wait to prove himself.
Believe Me Now is perfectly placed in the mystery and thriller genres and delivers on both. The plot is filled with twists and turns, and I was eager to see how Natalie and Helen’s stories would eventually connect. Even with multiple threads and voices in play, I never felt confused. Govett gives each woman a distinct voice, making it easy to follow both perspectives.
I found it to be a quick read, mostly because I was so invested in the outcome. I think it deserves a second read to fully catch all the subtle clues and hints woven throughout the story.
What stood out most to me was how well the female characters were written and how thoughtfully the author portrayed the challenges women face, especially in relation to the men around them. Helen constantly has to fight to be taken seriously. Natalie, in contrast, is babied by her husband. Both women are much stronger than the men in their lives give them credit for.
The male characters are also compelling in their differences. Ryan is meant to be seen as a supportive husband, at least through Natalie’s eyes, but I disliked him from the beginning. On the other hand, Helen’s new partner was likable right away, even if she was slow to trust him. Helen’s boss immediately rubbed me the wrong way. I’m tempted to reread the book and look more closely at the parallels between Ryan and Helen’s boss, as they seem to represent a quiet form of control disguised as caring.
Overall, Believe Me Now is a solid and engaging read that balances emotional depth with high-stakes suspense. I‘d recommend it to anyone looking for a mystery that keeps your heart racing and pages turning.
Thank you to NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
No comments:
Post a Comment