Title: The Bones of the Story
Author: Carol Goodman
Publisher: William Morrow, July 11, 2023
Thank you to NetGalley and William Morrow for providing me with an eARC for
review.
The remains of a missing student have been discovered in the icy caves of
Briarwood College. A fundraiser masked as a memorial to commemorate the
dead. When a strong winter storm descends on the college alumni start to die.
Dean Nell Portman races against the storm and her past to stop anyone
else becoming a victim.
This is my first Carol Goodman novel, and it won’t be my last. The story did
start off a little slow for me but when it picked up boy did it pick up. I enjoyed
reading about Briarwood College which was as much a character as any of
the people.
I appreciate Goodman naming various other works the students were reading.
I added them all to my tbr. I have seen some complaints about it taking up too
much space. For me, the references added to the overall mood of the story.
I only have two complaints. One, I figured out one of the twists very early on.
It didn’t ruin my enjoyment of the book, but I do wish it had been a little more subtle.
The second is that I didn’t care about the Now part of the book as much as the
Then part. That is personal though.
All in all, a very enjoyable read that I would recommend to anyone that enjoys dark
academia books.
No comments:
Post a Comment